Saturday, May 15, 2010

Kitchen stuff

I love projects. Some of my favorites are kitchen and garden projects.

Lately I've had a few kitchen projects going on. They're not insanely exciting, but they help me feel more connected with my food, kitchen and community. It's interesting how much emotional weight food holds.

Here are a few of my projects:

1. veggie stock. This is a pretty "normal" thing these days. I love having homemade veggie stock in the freezer! I keep the cuttings form celery, carrots, onions in a freezer bag and when I get a full bag or two, I add a handful of garlic, some fresh stuff, water, boil and voila! veggie stock.

2. frozen asparagus. I have been busy blanching and freezing asparagus. I'm excited. I'll be great to have local, fresh from frozen asparagus in the middle of winter!

3. pickled asparagus. Through our food club's recent asparagus bulk buy, I purchased 15 lbs and pickled it. I made a herbed and a spicy dill asparagus spears. I haven't tried them yet, but am excited to.

4. Homemade onion powder! I had a whole bunch of onions that were beginning to go soft and slightly moldy. So I cut off the moldy parts, washed them down, sliced them and put them in the dehydrator. Then I pulverized them in the food processor and I now have amazing smelling onion powder! Totally great feeling to do that within a day of us running out of what we had in the cupboard. And I didn't waste any onions!

5. homemade garlic powder: I got 5 lbs of organic, peeled garlic with our last produce buy. They are, as I type, humming along in the dehydrator (in the garage so we don't have to inhale the strong, yet yummy, scent.)

6. Spinach! The spinach in the sideyard garden has gone NUTS! So I've been blanching and freezing it too. It'll be fun to eat spinach from our garden through the winter. Speaking of this, I have another big bowl in the freezer to work on.

Upcoming projects: Strawberry Season is coming! WOOOO HOOO! I'm excited and have plans for: Jam, homemade fruit leather and tons of dehydrated strawberries. Elliott eats them like candy!

No comments:

Post a Comment